Orlando's arrests of Food Not Bombs activists prompt threats of cyber attack
Sean Kinane about over 2 years ago
It seems the City of Orlando has ticked off the wrong (anonymous) people.
If you've been following our coverage over the last week or so, you know that Orlando is enforcing its ban on large-group feedings in public parks with a vengeance. Three activists with the group Orlando Food Not Bombs were arrested last week, four more earlier this week, and five more as recently as Wednesday.
Well, now an unrelated anonymous group says it's had enough. It's going to wage cyber war against the city. In this email released Thursday, the group Peoples Liberation Front says it will take Orlando's official website offline at 10 a.m. Friday morning. But this nonviolent resistance is just a warning shot: they'll put the site back up at noon, but they promise next time they won't be so facilitating. Here's the body of their letter:
Peoples Liberation Front Communique
Thursday - June 9, 2011
This is a Message to the Orlando City Government --
We have watched with dismay as all across the USA more and more cruel and illegal laws have been passed against the homeless street people. Your recent arrest of Food Not Bombs activists is the line in the sand, and the Peoples Liberation Front will tolerate no more.
Tomorrow morning at precisely 10:00 AM EDT the forces of the PLF will remove the Orlando Government web site from the internet. It will remain a smoking crater in cyber space for exactly two hours, when we will give the cease fire order and allow it to return to normal function.
Consider this a warning. If you persist in the despicable practice of arresting people for feeding other people, we will permanently remove ALL your official web sites from the internet. You have been warned, do not make us return. Cease your persecution of Food Not Bombs and leave the street people alone.
SIGNED -- Commander X
PLF Field Commander
Earlier Thursday Orlando's Mayor Buddy Dyer replied to a member of Orlando Food Not Bombs named Josh explaining the city's actions. Among the reasons he gave for the arrests is that there's a designated "park" where sharing food is legal. Here's part of Dyer's letter:
The City has designated an area on Sylvia Lane for groups to set up feedings for the homeless, with tables, benches, portolets and security. This designated area is within blocks from community service agencies, providing easier access to needed services.
I figured I'd check out where Sylvia Lane is. An internet search turned up these photos taken by Orlando FNB.
Fenced in. Locked. Barbed wire. Asphalt. Is the Mayor really saying this is an alternative to Lake Eola Park?
We'll continue to follow this story and will bring you updates on the WMNF News and on our website wmnf.org/news
Here's our coverage of Food Not Bombs