The Waking Hours draws heavily on modern singer/songwriters, from folk to rock and blues, with a special emphasis on artists that might be new to the station’s listeners, music by real musicians, and music with something to say. Each week, I feature a new CD that has not yet been widely played and showcase two songs at each of the half hours. I hope to introduce my listeners to musicians who will someday become their new favorite artists.
I know that many of you are not up from 4-6 am on Tuesday so give the show a listen at a time convenient to you on the archives, which is the ‘listen on demand’ link to the right.
Here are The Waking Hours Top 15 CD’s of the past year. These are the new releases that I have been playing the most and love from top to bottom. Other than the tie at #1 and the #3 CD, they are in no particular order.
15. Courtney Marie Andrews/How Quickly Your Heart Mends/Honest Life/Mama Bird
14. Honey Island Swamp Band/Head High Water Blues/Demolition Day/Ruf Records
13. Wynonna & The Big Noise/Ain’t No Thing/Wynonna & The Big Noise/Curb Records
12. Aoife O’Donovan/Stanley Park/In the Magic Hour/Yep ROC
11. Cris Jacobs/Jack the Whistle and the Hammer/Dust to Gold/American Showplace Music
10. The Stray Birds/Shining in the Distance/Magic Fire/YepROC
9. Dori Freeman You Say/Dori Freeman/Free Dirt
8. Ziggy Marley/Start It Up/Ziggy Marley/Tuff Gong
7. The Linemen/Mystery in the Making/Close the Place Down/SAM Records
6. Levi Parham/These American Blues/These American Blues/Music Road Records
5. Town Mountain/Comin’ Back to You/Southern Crescent/Lo Hi Records
4. Caleb Caudle/Gotta Be/Carolina Ghost/TIAM
3. Sarah Potenza/The Mountain/Monster/Snax Records
1. Massy Ferguson/Front Page News/Run It Right into the Wall
- Blue Rodeo/Jimmy Fall Down/1000 Arms/TeleSoul Records