STUDENTS CHALLENGED TO EAT LOCALLY by Roxanne Escobales10/03/06
Today in the cafeteria at Eckerd College in St Petersburg, students and faculty were treated to a lunch made of local food â€“ all grown within 150 miles of the campus. This was one site of 400 around the country that caterer Bon Appetit hosted its Eat Local Challenge.
To see a list of the local farms and food suppliers that contributed food to todayâ€™s Eat Local Challenge at Eckerd College, visit the News and Public Affairs page on wmnf.org.
- Eddie's Duck and Poultry Farm in Ruskin (oak smoked chicken)
- Rosa's Farms in Ocala (organic beef burgers)
- Florida Crystals in Osceola (organic brown and white rice, organic sugar, rice flour)
- Cahaba Clubs Herbal Outpost in Odessa (hydroponics)
- Suncoast Shrimp in Clearwater (shrimp and alligator)
- Publix in Lakeland (cheese and butter)
- 4-Grain/Tampa Farm Service in Dover (eggs)
- Rocking Rabbit Ranch in Brooksville (pure pepper sauce)
- Hunsader's U-Pick Farms in Bradenton (corn)