POLL: MOST IRAQIS WANT AMERICAN TROOPS TO LEAVE COUNTRY

10/04/06

A newly released poll of Iraqi public opinion finds that seven out of 10 Iraqis want the United States to withdraw its military forces within one year. The poll was conducted by the University of Maryland. Steven Kull, director of the university's Program on International Policy Attitudes, says the results of his group's survey are clear.

"Basically, we asked which of the following would you like the Iraqi government to ask the U.S.-led forces to do? And 37 percent say they would like them to withdraw within six months," said Kull. "Another 34 percent say they would like them to make a commitment to withdraw according to a timeline, within a year. So, a total of 71 percent say they basically want the U.S. out within a year."

In other findings, the poll found 78 percent of Iraqis felt the U.S. military presence in Iraq is provoking more conflict than it is preventing. Meanwhile, it shows a rise in public confidence in Iraqi security forces, with 62 percent of the respondents saying they believe Iraqi forces will be ready within a year.

The survey includes responses from more than 1,100 Iraqi adults, who were questioned in person in early September.

Kull was our guest during this segment.

comments powered by Disqus