Center for Constitutional Rights on future of Gitmo listen01/21/09 Mitch E. Perry
WMNF Drive-Time News Wednesday | Listen to this entire show:
Aides to the new president are preparing an executive order that would begin the process of shutting down the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Late last night, the Obama administration instructed military prosecutors to seek a 120-day suspension of legal proceedings involving detainees at Guantanamo. They would also review the case of all remaining detainees – nearly 245 of them.
Shayana Kadidal is the managing attorney for the Guatanamo Project for the Center of Constitutional Rights based in New York City. We spoke with him today about the announcement regarding the new administration’s executive order on Gitmo.
During the campaign, Obama said that in the place of the military commissions, he would prefer to see prosecutions in federal courts or, perhaps, in proceedings in the existing military justice system, which provides legal guarantees similar to those of American civilian courts.
The New York Times reported today that one person who had been read a transition memorandum on the subject said that the memo described the new administration as favoring federal court prosecution and that military commissions would remain in place during a review process if legal teams conclude that there are unforeseen difficulties in continuing prosecutions in existing American courts.