Reaction to death of U.S. Ambassador in Libya
listen

09/12/12 wire services including AP
WMNF Drive-Time News Wednesday | Listen to this entire show:

Large_3724

President Barack Obama is condemning in the "strongest possible terms" an attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya that killed four Americans, including the American ambassador.

Today Obama said the U.S. will work with the Libyan government to bring the perpetrators of the attack to justice. He says "no acts of terror" will shake America's resolve.

Obama said the U.S. rejects any efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, but says there is "absolutely no justification" for violent attacks.

Meanwhile, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney says it's never too early for America to condemn attacks on its sovereignty and says the White House gave "mixed signals" in its response to the breach of the American embassy in Egypt, which was stormed without injuries.

Romney stood by his sharp statement last night criticizing the Obama administration. Today he said that statement from the U.S. Embassy in Cairo was "akin to apology" and a "severe miscalculation."

A mob of protesters and gunmen overwhelmed the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, setting fire to it in outrage over a film that ridicules Islam's Prophet Muhammad. Libya's new president apologized today for the attack, which underlined the lawlessness plaguing a region trying to recover from months of upheaval.

The U.S. Ambassador who was killed, Chris Stevens, spent the last two decades in foreign service. Stevens was a career diplomat who spoke Arabic and French and had already served two tours in Libya.

Libya's deputy U.N. ambassador says several Libyan security officers were also killed in the attack and others were wounded.

U.S. officials say some 50 Marines are being sent to Libya to reinforce security at U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi.

In an audio statement released today by his staff, U.S. Senator, Bill Nelson (D-FL) suggested the attack could be revenge by al Qaeda.

U.S. embassies in at least seven countries in the Middle East, Africa and the Caucasus are warning of possible anti-American protests following the attack on the consulate in Benghazi

The embassies in Armenia, Burundi, Egypt, Kuwait, Sudan, Tunisia and Zambia all issued warnings today advising Americans to be particularly vigilant.

The warnings, posted on the embassies' websites, do not report any specific threat to Americans but note that demonstrations can become violent.



comments powered by Disqus