The Director of Development (“DoD”) is responsible for developing, directing, and implementing strategic fundraising plans for WMNF. The DOD oversees all on-air fundraising activities, major and planned giving programs/projects, system and corporate grants, programming and project underwriting, and non-membership community-based revenue-generating activities (including some WMNF special events). The DoD also supervises the Membership Coordinator and the Development Assistant. The DoD also creates and administers the Development Department’s annual operating budget. Other responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Creates and monitors membership campaign dates and revenue goals and prepares a plan to achieve those goals.
- Coordinates and leads regular meetings with WMNF staff to plan and/or conduct the station’s membership drives.
- Identifies and solicits Fund Drive Challenges from the business community and individual donors.
- Sets and monitors underwriting goals.
- Finds and prospects new underwriting partners and ensures that potential partners are in agreement with WMNF’s mission.
- Edits and approves all on-air underwriting copy and contracts.
- Understands and ensures station compliance with all FCC non-commercial guidelines regarding underwriting copy and event sponsorship.
- Sets and evaluates event sponsorship goals.
- Ascertains and assesses sponsors for WMNF events.
- Prepares underwriting and membership reports for General Manager, Development Committee and/or designated licensee representative.
- Studies station activities, billings, and collections to confirm alignment with station goals.
- Manages and maintains all trade agreements with local businesses business partners.
- Prepares monthly reports of activity related to underwriting, membership, and sponsorships.
- Develops revenue and expense projections for underwriting and membership budgets.
- Supervises the creation of support materials for underwriting and digital sponsorship – including kits, presentations, and listening/web analytics data.
- Monitors changes and developments in underwriting support related areas including underwriting guidelines and media kit design.
- Reviews and analyzes membership levels and designates the premiums associated with each level.
- Oversees planned giving program and monitors the program to ensure effectiveness.
- Identifies prospective grant opportunities and maintains current grants for compliance in tandem with Director of Finance and Administration.
- Manages and supervises Membership Coordinator, providing necessary guidance, leadership, and support to ensure that member and revenue goals are met, and relationships with donors are created, maintained, and enhanced.
- Provides regular feedback and conducts annual performance reviews for Membership Coordinator and Development Assistant.
- Participates in Development Committee meetings and provides staff leadership for committee fundraising projects/events.
- Develops and maintains internal WMNF development policies and fundraising procedures to ensure compliance with station governance while maximizing opportunities to diversify and grow revenue.
- Participates in on-air fundraising drives and other station-sponsored events as required.
- All other duties assigned by supervisor.
Database management experience; Allegiance experience a plus
Computer skills including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Ability to supervise staff and volunteers
Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
Exceptional interpersonal communication skills
Exceptional organizational, analytical, and presentation skills
Management development experience preferred
Bachelor’s degree or four years continuous, supervisory experience in a public media environment
Demonstrated supervisory ability
Demonstrated supervisory-level fundraising experience in non-profit environment
Radio and/or TV fundraising experience a plus
Benefits included are employer paid health/dental insurance, vacation/sick/holiday pay and 403b.
Please submit a resume and required cover letter to [email protected]. In your cover letter include 1) why you want to work at WMNF and 2) how your experiences and skills prepare you for the position. Application review begins on November 4th. Position open until filled.