Supervisor: General Manager
Employment Status: Full Time
Position Type: Exempt
Positions Supervised: Special Events Coordinator, Music Director, Volunteer Programmers
The WMNF Program Director will be responsible for leading and managing the delivery of the station’s Brand Promise across all platforms, including on-air music and arts content, events, promotions, and digital presence. The Program Director will have proven leadership and management skills experience to include strategic planning with the ability to communicate a clear vision that motivates and inspires staff, volunteers, and the greater WMNF community.
Must have experience with on-air talent recruitment, training/coaching, discipline/dismissal, format development, implementation and enforcement, event management and copywriting/marketing skills, in-depth knowledge and understanding of impactful branding/imaging, and effective digital engagement and growth with creativity.
Five years of programming experience understand audience measurements, FCC rules and regulations, ability to collaborate with the Development Department. See below for all responsibilities of the job. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
WMNF is a listener-supported community radio station and media organization serving the Tampa Bay area. Founded in 1979, our music, news, and public affairs programming celebrates cultural diversity and promotes creative and civic vitality with a grassroots emphasis. We provide broadcasts, streaming services, and special events at 88.5 FM and WMNF.org.
- Acquires and schedules content that advances the vision, mission, and strategic goals of WMNF.
- Attract and grow audience share, ratings, and contributions.
- Develops clear policies, procedures, and standards for programmers.
- Regularly provides oral and written reviews/evaluations of program schedule and all programmers’ performance to identify areas for improvement, encouraging creativity and innovation, and changes out/upgrades talent where needed and/or when opportunities for improvement in the quality of WMNF programmers/programming present themselves.
- Recruits, coaches, counsels, and advises on-air volunteer programmers and announcers on maximizing their effort in the production and execution of high quality, mission-driven content. Deliver timely written evaluations that tracks and measures quality of programming.
- Develops Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for programmers
- Provides adequate and consistent supervision, written and oral feedback, and discipline of programmers and assigned staff.
- Conducts and provides semi-annual written and oral performance evaluations of the programming volunteer and paid staff.
- Ensures that program content, production style, and format are consistent with the policies and procedures of WMNF and with the values and sensibilities of community radio.
- Supervises production and scheduling of all WMNF promotion announcements for events and programming.
- Oversees WMNF’s sponsored live music and/or non-news program-related Special Events, including production, promotions, budgets, and volunteers.
- Establish and maintain superior relationships with musicians, record labels, promoters, booking agents, and other music business stakeholders to secure resources and access that can further WMNF’s mission.
- Coordinates with News and Public Affairs Director with News and Public Affairs programs and events.
- Ensures that content of programs are cleared by applicable Rights Agency and consistent with FCC rules and other regulatory agencies.
- Monitors all WMNF channels/radio programming activities on both main and HD channels to ensure compliance with WMNF, FCC, and other established broadcast standards.
- Acquires program research data, use such data as a programming tool, and teach programmers how to use such data for program development and program enhancement.
- Develops and coordinates strategies to reach and engage current and new audiences in various day-parts.
- Participates in meetings with the station’s General Manager, Director of Finance & Administration and Director of Development to set membership campaign dates and revenue goals aimed at achieving the projected membership budget.
- Supervises the work of the part-time Music Director to ensure that WMNF music formatting, files and library are compatible with industry standards.
- Files all external and internal reports in a timely manner and provides reports to record companies and trade publications.
- Creates the Programming Committee, holding meetings, and overseeing program changes.
- Coordinates activities of Program Strategies Committee and lead program strategies discussions.
- Maintains a working knowledge of current music trends and new artists in all genres.
- Work with the development team to develop new revenue-generating opportunities for new and existing underwriting partners.
- Serves as a public spokesperson for WMNF at industry events, in publications, and other opportunities.
- Participates in on-air fundraising drives and other station-sponsored events as required.
Thorough knowledge of public radio programming and community radio values and sensibilities thorough knowledge of Nielsen Audience Research techniques, PPM, and Google analytics is a significant plus but not required.
Excellent communication skills – oral, written, and personal interaction.
Excellent organizational skills.
Excellent computing skills, including experience with digital audio editing software and broadcast automation systems.
Demonstrated supervisory abilities.
Working knowledge of music scheduling software.
Ability to multitask and capable of working with specific deadlines, highly organized and comfortable delegating responsibility.
Flexible, creative, and innovative in using technology to deepen listener and client relationships.
Ability to manage and motivate staff/volunteers in addition to working well as a member of a team.
B.A. with a Liberal Arts background or equivalent
Five years’ experience in program management (experience may be substituted for degree)
Knowledge of community radio’s mission
Demonstrated knowledge of FCC rules, intellectual property copyrights, and performance rights
Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Benefits included are employer-paid health/dental insurance, vacation/sick/holiday pay and 403b.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by 5:00 p.m. Friday, November 20th, 2020.
WMNF is an EOE Employer