Where Is The Health Care Insurance Debate Heading?

09/09/09 Robert Lorei
Radioactivity: Live Call-In (Wednesday) | Listen to this entire show:

Welcome to Radioactivity. I’m Rob Lorei. Coming up we’ll talk about the President's highly-anticipated speech tonight about health insurance reform. But first, some listener comments about yesterday’s program. Everyone wanted to comment about the President’s speech to the nation’s school children. We aren’t able to bring you all the comments- there were far too many- but here’s what some listeners had to say.

Tonight President Obama addresses a joint session of Congress about health insurance reform.

There’s a lot of anticipation about tonight’s speech. Some are saying he needs to do well if major health insurance reform is to pass this year.

Joining us now is Dr. James Floyd, who is a researcher at Public Citizen’s Health Research Group. The group advocates single payer- but has also been analyzing the health insurance reform proposals coming out of Washington.

The debate seems to be boiling down to whether or not the final plan includes a public insurance option…

FMI http://www.pnhp.org http://www.healthcarenow.org

comments powered by Disqus

Comments

Rep. Wilson lost his mind...

The Presidents address was outstanding... but... Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) should make a public apology (IMMEDIATELY) and receive a Congressional censure. Has the man lost his mind?

health care

many pepole don't thnink about how far the health care reaches. wonder why our medi care program is not getting enought money,look at the many people without job! emploees don't have a choice before we get our paycheck a certain amount of Federal Taxes, Social Security and Medicare is withheld unlike self employed or companies for that matter. simple, no jobs no income for the programs. president obama is doing an ecxellent job.

Obama's speech

Nice speech as usual, let's face it, the man is a good orator. On the other hand, it was still void of many details which is how politicians deliver their speeches. It was a good response to the rights' constant barrage of propaganda, I mean, they're laying it on really think on this issue. The other day, when the president addressed the school children, let's recall who really made that into a political fiasco. Lastly, I would like to mention Taiwan's National Health Care System because I know it well. I lived there for two years in '02 to '04. Their system is based on Canada's. The KMT (Kuo Ming Tang) is the conservative party of the Nationalists and Chiang kai Shek that escaped the civil war that put the communists in power in China. The DPP (Democratic Peoples' Party) is the liberal party in Taiwan eventually established back in the '80's. When Taiwan was one of Asia's economic tigers in the later '80's, they introduced legislation for a national health care system. Of course the KMT killed that idea. Yet next election cycle, the KMT introduced health care legislation, passed it (stealing the DPP's thunder) and now Taiwan quite possibly has the most efficient system around. They run at about 1.5% for administrative costs. Remember a few years ago when we saw Taiwanese lawmakers fist fighting on the Legislative Yuan floor on the evening news? Yeah, that was over health care administrative costs climbing to 2%. Most Taiwanese can see their family doctor same day. I used to just walk three blocks to mine and rarely waited more than 10 mins to see him. He spoke good English and attended a med school in the US. The basic insurance plan is underwritten by private insurnce companies under government guidelines. It provides 80% of all medical costs and is very affordable and available to me, a legal alien resident living and working in Tainan city. Additional coverage is available, through private insurers, in a range of plans that cover the remaining 20% and even lost wages - just depends how much you want to pay for your premium. There is even life insurance plans available that if you don't die and file a claim after 10, 20 or whatever years (dependent on plan) PAYS YOU BACK including interest. Taiwan's system works and you'd have hell to pay if you tried to take it away from the Taiwanese people. Ironically, the reason the KMT decided to create a national system was because A WEALTHY NATION HAS A MORAL OBLIGATION TO ENSURE ALL OF ITS PEOPLE HAVE ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE AND NONE SHOULD EVER SUFFER WITHOUT CARE AND/OR FACE FINANCIAL RUIN BECAUSE OF ILLNESS OR INJURY. Now, the right, who has a great deal of support from Christian religious groups, constantly reminds the US citizen that this nation is based on Christian principles. As I recall, if you're Christian you have faith in Jesus. That the only way to heaven is through faith in Him. Does that faith not include obedience to the Lord? Did not Jesus tell us the truth in His parables? So, I want to know, when is the Christian right going to show some grace, love, compassion and understanding?

Obama's speech

Nice speech as usual, let's face it, the man is a good orator. On the other hand, it was still void of many details which is how politicians deliver their speeches. It was a good response to the rights' constant barrage of propaganda, I mean, they're laying it on really think on this issue. The other day, when the president addressed the school children, let's recall who really made that into a political fiasco. Lastly, I would like to mention Taiwan's National Health Care System because I know it well. I lived there for two years in '02 to '04. Their system is based on Canada's. The KMT (Kuo Ming Tang) is the conservative party of the Nationalists and Chiang kai Shek that escaped the civil war that put the communists in power in China. The DPP (Democratic Peoples' Party) is the liberal party in Taiwan eventually established back in the '80's. When Taiwan was one of Asia's economic tigers in the later '80's, they introduced legislation for a national health care system. Of course the KMT killed that idea. Yet next election cycle, the KMT introduced health care legislation, passed it (stealing the DPP's thunder) and now Taiwan quite possibly has the most efficient system around. They run at about 1.5% for administrative costs. Remember a few years ago when we saw Taiwanese lawmakers fist fighting on the Legislative Yuan floor on the evening news? Yeah, that was over health care administrative costs climbing to 2%. Most Taiwanese can see their family doctor same day. I used to just walk three blocks to mine and rarely waited more than 10 mins to see him. He spoke good English and attended a med school in the US. The basic insurance plan is underwritten by private insurnce companies under government guidelines. It provides 80% of all medical costs and is very affordable and available to me, a legal alien resident living and working in Tainan city. Additional coverage is available, through private insurers, in a range of plans that cover the remaining 20% and even lost wages - just depends how much you want to pay for your premium. There is even life insurance plans available that if you don't die and file a claim after 10, 20 or whatever years (dependent on plan) PAYS YOU BACK including interest. Taiwan's system works and you'd have hell to pay if you tried to take it away from the Taiwanese people. Ironically, the reason the KMT decided to create a national system was because A WEALTHY NATION HAS A MORAL OBLIGATION TO ENSURE ALL OF ITS PEOPLE HAVE ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE AND NONE SHOULD EVER SUFFER WITHOUT CARE AND/OR FACE FINANCIAL RUIN BECAUSE OF ILLNESS OR INJURY. Now, the right, who has a great deal of support from Christian religious groups, constantly reminds the US citizen that this nation is based on Christian principles. As I recall, if you're Christian you have faith in Jesus. That the only way to heaven is through faith in Him. Does that faith not include obedience to the Lord? Did not Jesus tell us the truth in His parables? So, I want to know, when is the Christian right going to show some grace, love, compassion and understanding?

The times they are a changin!!!

The President’s speech was outstanding. He appeared to have addressed most of the concerns that the majority of the people had… death panels, tort reform, immigrant coverage and how the plan could be paid for. I was glad to hear that small “Mom & Pop” businesses would not be forced to carry insurance and that big business’s would be required to carry health insurance which stopped the possibility of big business dropping health care… not to mention the elimination of the “previous condition” clauses. Yet with all of this spelled out for them, the Right is still afraid… and not of what is in the bill… but afraid of what it could lead to. Those “slippery slope” fears, the ...if we do that; then this could happen… paranoia. And then you have Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) who makes it into the history books. A few years ago I thought the Left needed to be in straight jackets due to BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) but no politician had ever gone as far as Wilson did on the floor, “Code Pink” sure… but not the politicians. Now, it’s the Right that’s suffering from BDS… Barack Derangement Syndrome. I remember, in my youth, when the Right would stomp on the Left and yell… “America, love it or leave it”. Well sir… the times they are a changin!!!